How much money can you save by turning off the lights?

(Photo: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Groceries, gas for your car, rent, and other expenses all need to be budgeted for each month. Energy costs are rising, which means they will likely consume more of your expenses. Nevertheless, there are a number of strategies to lower your energy bill with just a few minor adjustments to your lifestyle.

Did you know that simply turning off your lights when not in use is one of the most effective ways to save money on electricity?

Keep reading to find out why turning off your lights is crucial and how much money you can save by doing so.

How much you can save depends on your bulb

There are different types of bulbs on the market. The type of light bulbs you use will determine how much energy you can save by turning off the lights, in accordance with astral energy.

When using compact fluorescent lights (CFLs), you can leave the lights on if you re-enter your room within 15 minutes. However, turning them off when you leave your house for more than 15 minutes will save more energy. The approach will also help extend the life of your CFL bulbs.

An incandescent bulb is one of the least energy efficient sources of lighting. Before they can emit light, these lamps usually first convert electricity into heat. Only 10% of the energy used by incandescent bulbs is converted into light; the remaining 90% is released as heat.

It doesn’t matter if the light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs are turned on or off in real time. In other words, it differs from compact fluorescent bulbs which do not recommend turning off the lights when leaving the house for less than 15 minutes. This is one of the key features of LED lights that makes them suitable for conserving your home’s energy. Plus, you can use sensors to fully turn them on and automatically turn them on and off.

Read more: Humidifier Buying Guide – Do You Really Need One?

The wattage of your bulb is also an important factor

CBS noted that by using bulb wattage, you can estimate your potential savings. Suppose you have a 30 watt bulb. This means that it will consume 0.03 kWh in one hour. You may feel that the 0.03 kWh saved is not enough.

However, keep in mind that this is only one bulb. The amount of electricity used in your home will increase if you leave multiple lights on. Therefore, your savings will increase dramatically if you factor in the savings of turning off all your light bulbs for many more hours each month.

Turning off your lights has other benefits besides saving money

astral energy pointed out that you can reduce your consumption of environmentally harmful non-renewable resources by turning off your lights. It can also help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, including carbon dioxide. So turning off your lights is an easy way to help protect the environment and save the earth.

Related article: Traditional fans vs air circulator: which one to choose?